Monday, May 30, 2011

Reason #3: discipline

Discipline:  it's needed for dreadlocks as well as for drills
Why am I getting dreadlocks?  Because it requires discipline.  Not all methods do, but I'm working on my hair every single day.

There is no other similar period of time in my life when I paid this much attention to my head.  Even when I was shaving it bald, I only attended to my duties every three or four days.

Each day there are tasks I must perform to keep my hair on course:

  • Palmrolling to compress the locks
  • Adjusting rubber bands
  • Clockwise rubbing to form new knots
I also have to form dread balls out of hairs which are between the locks and shove them inside (something I'm still not very good at), and there's a whole process to getting the loose hairs on the dreads themselves pulled in and lookin' trim.

Anyone who sets out to make professional-looking dreadlocks is going to learn discipline, or they will never succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment