Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Looking inward: learning from my dreads

So far the biggest change in perception that I've seen around my dreadlocks is my own.  The first time I saw someone with dreads was in college, and I couldn't figure out what was going on with that girl's head. My companion said to me, "I know what she's trying to do, but she's not doing it well."  I didn't hear the word "dreadlocks" for years after that, but I still remember the girl who looked like she had mange.  For a long time that's what I thought dreads were all about, but now I know what mature locks look like, and I appreciate them when I see them.

Mind you, I still find myself avoiding talking to people who have cultivated dreadlocks as part of a look of homelessness.  My reaction to dirty, disheveled people isn't any different than it used to be; I just don't automatically pigeonhole someone for having dreads alone.

I'm still able to keep my locks under my hat, and so far I've only had one day when I let my dreads fly free.  The eyes aren't yet on me.

Bigger still is my desire to use dreadlocks as a metaphor for, well, just about everything.  Locks tighten up as they mature, loose hair gets incorporated, and the overall appearance becomes more organized and pleasing to the eye.  At first it's complete chaos, but over time the hair starts to understand its new role, and gets better at it.  I've seen similar evolutions all around me, for example:

  • Businesses
  • Gardens
  • Children
  • Politicians
  • Movie directors
Much in the world can be advanced through practice and repetition, but some things just take time.  Wearing these young, short locks on my head makes me think about that a lot.  I think the lessons here are deeper than just patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment