Monday, May 16, 2011

Promises made, promises broken

Three weeks, three days in, and there are a couple of things that I've backpedaled on.
  • Waxing.  I had been thinking about cutting out the wax in my locks, but I changed my mind.  There were a few factors that swayed me.
    1. I started a program, so I should follow through.  The wax controversy gave me pause, but my hair's making progress.
    2. I'm getting feedback suggesting that it's locking up fast, so apparently I'm doing something right.
    3. I spoke to a local business owner who used to have locks, and he used wax as well.
  • Outing.  I was consider giving a talk to my business networking group which would tie together my writing and my hair, but I didn't think my locks were quite ready for prime time, and I opted to talk about poison ivy instead. When I make the shift in their consciousness from "the business writer who always wears a hat" to "that guy with dreads," I don't want them to take away ideas like messy, wacky, or disheveled.  It's important that I project a professional appearance with dreadlocks, so I want to let them settle in a bit.
I think these are acceptable shifts in strategy. What's wonderful is that I can always change gears again . . . my hair's not going anywhere, and the process is slow enough that I can mold my coif like a bonsai kitten.  My hair is locking up fast enough that I have abandoned my stocking shower cap; although I've got plenty of loose hairs and a couple of locks which are kinda meh, there is definitely improvement every day.  The progress is enough to keep me on the program, but not so fast that I want to start dangling them in every face I encounter.

Of course, I live in a small, strange town.  I now know of not one, but two elected officials who have put a single lock into their hair.  The lock acceptance rate in the rest of the world may vary.

No pictures today.  Instead I will close with a fun little montage video of the day of backcombing.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment