Thursday, June 30, 2011

Reason #6: accountability

I had someone offer me a hit off a blunt one day, and I declined.

"Let me get this straight," he said to me.  "You get dreadlocks and you don't smoke weed?"

I've been told that dreadlocks can increase offers of drugs.  It's something that's just expected of people with locks.

I can't afford that, because sometimes I'm not the most mindful driver in the world.  If I get pulled over with a natty head, I'm pretty sure that the cop is going to find probable cause to search my vehicle if I can.

That's why dreadlocks make me accountable.

  • I need to understand and exercise my rights.
  • I need to practice one crime at a time - and realize that having dreadlocks might count at that crime.
  • I must be prepared to go the extra mile to appear clean and neat, because the people who think I'm not may have influence over my life.
So please don't be surprised if I don't take a hit off your blunt.  I need to rise above and be something which people don't expect.

I'm accountable to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment