Friday, June 3, 2011

Oh, the craziness of me

This post's title is inspired by Peter Pan ("Oh, the cleverness of me!") because I've discovered that sleeping can be hazardous to your locks, or at least it can ruin any chances of keeping them tame.  If J.M. Barrie had thought of dreadlocks, he definitely would have put them on his young hero.

Not what I would call a professional look.
The three locks which were sticking straight out from the right side of my head when I awoke yesterday morning were particularly amazing.  As they've gotten longer, I thought at first that it was the rubber bands I still have at the base of each lock which was make those particular ones so . . . pointy.  But that's not the case, because I've moved the bands around, and removed them entirely, and yet I still often wake up in this amazing condition.

The only thing I found that brought them back in line with gravity was a good, long soak in the tub.  They stayed down when I dried them, and they were still down this morning when I woke up.  This is technically a "wax on" week, but wax didn't help me beat them into shape.  In fact, there's no detectable wax in the unruly locks right now, and yet they're behaving.

This brings to mind another reaction to my locks.  "When you go in the pool, you'll look like Predator," I was told.  I imagined he meant how my hair would float in the water, but . . . not quite.  "When you get out of the water, your hair is dry," he said, which is completely the opposite of my experience so far, but maybe it will turn out that way once they're tight enough to repel moisture.

If that happens, though, washing is going to be a real pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment