Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A year ago: scared to shampoo

I left the mirror steamy as a courtesy
A year ago today I was nervous about washing my hair.  It was the first time I was going to try it after the locking, and I had to wear a stocking to make sure I didn't rip them apart.  My hair sucked up shampoo like Jewish cooking does salt, and then, hours later, after they were finally dry, I had to wax them again.

If you're one of those people who believes that white people shouldn't have dreadlocks because all the extra work should be telling us something, you're preaching to the choir here.  By this time a year ago, I realized that making and maintaining dreadlocks, at least using my chosen methods, was much more work than I'd ever done on my hair before.

Of course, I also was starting to have more fun with my silly hair.  I asked a dreadlock poll question which had such epic rhymes that thirteen people have answered since I asked it a year ago.  How cool is that?

One year later, I'm still spending more time than I should be on my locks (well, on half my dreadlocks anyway), and I'm pretty much done with that.  Once this test period ends next month, I will be very, very glad to neglect my locks like a normal person.

2 comments:

  1. **eagerly awaiting your nature vs nurture conclusion**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'll be done smearing wax in my hair in about a month, but that won't be the end of it. The purported damage caused by wax can take years to manifest, so I will have to watch over these guys carefully.

    In fact, the timing is perfect: one hypothesis is that wax will doom my locks to a lifespan of no more than 3-4 years, and I'm planning on keeping these for five, so if they don't make it, we will know who won.

    ReplyDelete