Friday, April 13, 2012

A year ago: is my hair long enough?

My hair was free to roam.
A year ago today, I was fretting over my hair.  I'd made up my mind that I was going to lock it, but I wasn't sure if it was long enough yet.  My patience being what it is, I didn't want to wait.  I rationalized moving fast:
The main advantage of locking the hair when it's shorter is that it will take less time for my dreadful friends to help me.  The backcombing process can take six hours for 18 inches of hair, and is painful and tiring.
One year later, I know I wrote those words, but oh, I did not understand the meaning of "painful and tiring" when I posted that passage.  Nope, not by a long shot.

I daresay the locks have grown some.
My worries were for naught -- my locks have endured, despite the short hair we started with, and the controversial waxing, crocheting, and all the other hoo-hah that's been going into my nature-vs-nurture test.

And my hair has grown longer, too, but what I not sure 100% sure of is how much more they've locked in the past 50 weeks.  Living with them day after day makes it harder to notice change, and I'm not really sure how to measure it.

My friend Amanda Catherine, who hadn't seen me in a couple of months, just told me that my locks are lookin' fine, so that was a nice boost.  (I'll have her reason for dreadlocks posted here as soon as I can get her to hold still long enough to tell me about it.)

One thing I'm positive about is that I hate the length of my hair this April.  To much volume for a hat, not enough length to tie it back.  Of course, the milestone that everyone with locked hair looks forward to is being able to use a lock to tie back the rest of the hair.  At the base of my neck, my longest locks are about three inches, so that's going to be awhile.  Some people have told me that it's easier to shave the back of the neck than to get that hair to lock, but it's steady as she goes.

3 comments:

  1. What inspires you to go for dreads? It actually looks nice, and it will become better if your hair grows longer. =) I just wish you the best of luck on your cool hairstyle!

    Stela Dimitrov

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a dreaddie, there are more styles of headcovering available to you that you may not be familiar with. In addition to the simple beanie you started with, there also tams (like baggy beret-shaped slouch hats), dread tubes (like an overgrown headband, or a hat with no "top") as scarf wraps, bands, and turbans. My sweetheart's preferred headwear is a bandana. For ideas, and as a recommendation, should you feel the need to go shopping, try MissBellUK's shop on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/missbelluk

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great. Opting for dreads will surely give you a unique character and people might get impressed. This reminds me of my former office mate who had long dread locks. He came up with that style because of his love for reggae music and because he idolizes Bob Marley.

    Reda Pinard

    ReplyDelete