Sunday, July 31, 2011

Waning waxing

So I'm coming to the end of my dread wax supply, and I don't have any plans to buy more.  I think the stuff has been helping, but there's no way to be sure if I keep using it.  As it is, my wax-on-wax-off alternating weeks has been reduced to waxing it every other Friday.  After yesterday's application, the first since my dreadful mess, I only have about half of what it takes to do my whole head, and that seems like the right time to move on.

State of the locks: three months and one week
I've already started using homemade dreadlocks products, starting with a replacement for Locking Accelerator.  What's great about that product is that its makers offer a homemade substitute on their site.  Mine includes a bit of lemon juice, but I used less salt so I'm going to up my ratio a bit next time I make it.

Some products don't seem to have a homemade replacement, like the Lock Peppa.  I just don't have a convenient supply of bentonite around town, and that stuff really works.  I'll probably be buying more of that at some point, but I'm not out of it yet.

The wax is another story.  There's good arguments explaining how it helps by compressing knots once they've been tightened, but when you hear that the wax instead inhibits locking by preventing the scales on the hairs from catching on one another, it also sounds reasonable.  Most of my backcombed locks are tightening nicely, but I have a handful that have resisted, and I've backcombed them again (a couple twice by mistake, I think), with little improvement.  Maybe not using wax will help them, maybe not, but I don't see how it could hurt them any.

Particularly since my dreadlocks survived a chlorine pool.

The experiment continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment