Thursday, July 14, 2011

Professional engagement

Summer has driven me to take the risk that I knew it would - I abandoned my favorite hat the other night.  I had work to do in public, but it was time.  It's a well-made knit cap, and it's not made for hot weather.  I tried getting a hair net, but no matter what you make a hair net out of, it's still a hair net.

My tour of duty was a planning board meeting where I am known, and no one remarked on my hair.  I doubt they're breathless readers of my blog here.  I watched during the meeting and afterwards, when I asked some follow-up questions for my article, for any non-verbal cures, things like

  • eyes drifting upwards to look at the hair, or
  • a faint nasal twang to suggest not breathing through the nose, or
  • a closed body posture, arms folded and turned away.
I saw no reaction from planning board members, applicants, or other journalists.  Well okay, the one applicant kept looking at me, but I couldn't tell if it was the hair or my journalist pad.  I get the latter anyway.

The following day I spoke to a number of local officials including the county executive, and attended a political committee meeting where I participated in candidate interviews.  My appearance doesn't seem to impact people who expect me to work in a professional manner.

Not sure what it means, but it's interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment