Friday, July 15, 2011

Homemade products

I started locking my hair using a specific system and set of products, but now I think I know enough to start thinking about homemade alternatives.  Here are some of my half-formed ideas about a home locking kit:
  • Dread wax - made of beeswax and paraffin with hemp seed oil, vitamin E, and fragrance, this should be replaceable with beeswax alone mixed with a bit of E and some hemp seed oil, if I can find that oil anywhere.  I've only used two-thirds of the three-and-a-half-ounce container in over two months.
  • Latch hook and crochet hook are good locking tools.
  • Locking accelerator - Purified or natural spring water, some lemon juice, and a dash of non-iodized sea salt.
  • Lock peppa - not a clue how to replace this stuff at home, and it works well.
  • Dread comb - any good metal comb is fine, but the price for this one is comparable, and it has a ruler on it, which is helpful for sectioning.
  • Loose hair tool - crochet and latch hooks are perfectly fine to replace any of these specialty tools.
  • Shampoo - got to have something residue-free for washing locks.  I have a recipe that uses water, baking soda, and a drop or two of tea tree oil.  I am not sure if the tea tree oil is too much residue or not, but paired with a vinegar rinse I think it should be okay.
  • Rubber bands - any small rubber bands, like the ones used on braces, should work; it's just a question of price because they don't last either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment