Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tightening the base of my locks

I've continued to replace and use rubber bands on the bases of most of my locks.  It helps keep the looser parts together, and makes it easier to grab one for clockwise rubbing, which is supposed to be encouraging the new hairs to get caught up in the lock rather than making their own way in the world.

My friend AnnMarie, the same one who turned her dreadlocks into a hat before lending them to me for the awesome banner design of this blog, gave me another tip.  This one involves taking the band off (or moving it out of the way) and splitting the lock at the base so you can take its own tip and shove it right through.  Twists the whole base section up, and (as I discovered) if you twist it the wrong way the lock will try like hell to point that direction, so keep that in mind.

So there's all sorts of ways to twist and rub and train those hairs to lock up and behave.  And there's also claims that at some point, all this will just start taking care of itself, and I needn't be concerned.  Being a bit impatient, maybe I will never get to that point.  Since my locks are just under four months old, I'm probably not quite ready to let them go yet, but in a couple of years I should take the plunge and see if it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment