Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reason #13: love (guest reason!)


Beginning with this post, I'm seeking out reasons for dreadlocks from other people who have them.  Honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of it before.  If I get bored of that, I can start asking them their top reason for not wanting locks . . . or ask the same two questions of people who don't have them.  And of course there's no reason why I should exclude people who used to have locked hair, but don't anymore.

Okay, now that I have pretty much ruined any chance of people clicking on this post by giving it a completely boring intro, let's move on.

Today's guest reason for dreadlocks is provided by Justin Holmes.  Justin is on his second set of dreadlocks, and for these he's going pretty damned natural.  "I rip some apart sometimes, or encourage a particularly stubborn one to do something different, but that's about it," he said to me.  Justin declined use of my metal comb ("I think I need something sturdier") and doesn't spend a lot of time paying attention to his hair at all.

Mr. Holmes is a computer programmer extraordinaire and the main force driving the Slash Root Tech Cafe, a storefront business which blends fair-trade coffee, freely-shared live music, and open-source technology into a platform for free thought and free expression.  If that explanation of the business doesn't suit, stop by their shop or just hire them to build you a web site.  You won't be disappointed.

Justin's reason for dreadlocks:  he's single and he says it improves his chances with the ladies.  Given his years of experience (at least four or five the last time he locked up), I have no reason to question him on that score.

No comments:

Post a Comment